[Sunhelp] Redhat 6.2 installation on Sparc 5

Richard richard at close.u-net.com
Wed Aug 9 15:55:38 CDT 2000

> I'm afraid I have no idea, but I suspect not as I probably would have
> been told by the person who supplied the sparc machine.

 If you look at the back of the SparcStation you should see a dark grey
sticker
just to the left of the mains connections. On my SS5 this has "SvCd:
S5-110",
no prizes for guessing what my SS5 is!

 Also I have installed Redhat 6.2 on both my SS5 machines and the only
problems I
really had (appart from dodgy RAM) was the fact that it would not
install properly
using the internal CDROM drive. My external Sun CDROM worked fine but
with the internal
drive (Toshiba I think) the install packed up part way through.

 Regards,
   Richard.

P.S. I seem to remember that Redhat do NOT support the 170MHz version of
the SS5.