[Sunhelp] compiler error

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Tue Apr 25 09:17:30 CDT 2000

> I am trying to install qmail on solaris 8 ,butam not able to compile ,I

> /usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed

 Solaris does not ship the cc compiler. That error message really
should read something more like:
/usr/ucb/cc: optional (programming) language software package not installed
    ( _or_ just drop the word "language" from the current error msg )
so that new users can understand it more (although it is covered in the FAQ).
I haven't installed Solaris 8 yet, myself, but it's my understanding that it
shipped with the gcc compiler. If you installed that, then perhaps you need to
change your PATH to put the /usr/ucb directory somewhere after the directory
that you installed gcc into.

david