[Sunhelp] Windows emulation

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Apr 23 16:03:25 CDT 2000

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Sean wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have one windows application that I need run but at this
> time I don't have a PC. I am currently using an Ultra 5 with
> 256MB.  I would like to get Sun's PC card but right now due
> to finances thatws not an option.  It appears that Wine is
> for x86 only so that doesnt seem to be an option. Does

Wine started out on Sparc, it may have been ported to x86 along the way
but Sparc was the primary platform.  Solaris 2.5.1 was the last version to
come with it bundled, with later releases you had to buy it separately.

My copy from 2.5.1 still works, but you have to be aware of the
limitations.  It will only run Windows 3.1 compatible apps and nothing
that directly references the hardware or DOS-specific calls.

> anyone know of any other options that I would have? It
> doesn't seem like SoftWindows is available for UNIX anymore.

Try to scare up a copy of RealPC, it was available for under $50 from
Sun/Insignia for some time.

-James