[Sunhelp] Re: Production Disksuite for Solaris 8

Robert Brady Robert.Brady at central.sun.com
Fri Apr 21 12:54:14 CDT 2000

This is a much tougher question to answer that I first thought.  Here's
what I have found:

o EA stands for Easy Access not Early Access(although there is a lot of
debate on this)
o The version of SDS that ships with 5.8 FCS is the officially supported
version of SDS
o It is NOT a beta release
o SDS 4.2.1 is supported on 5.7 & 5.8
o There shouldn't be a lot of bugs in the software as Bill reported since
there were not a whole lot of changes to the software.  The location of
binaries changed and bugs were fixed.  The x.x.1 implies that this is a
minor rev without major code changes.
o If you are seeing a lot of bugs, 4.2 CAN be run on 5.8.

As for Bill's second question:
You can shoot over to www.sun.com and request an offical version of
Solaris 8 software for (I believe) $75.  There is a lot of restrictions on
what it can be used for, but it is the full release of Solaris.

Good Luck!

-=-r

The opinion's presented in this email are in no way related to the
opinions of Sun Microsystems Inc.  They are the author's opinions and Sun
usually disagrees with them.