[Sunhelp] Solaris8 and prom update

Orlando Torres otorres at loudoun.com
Thu Apr 20 13:27:36 CDT 2000

No, depends on your platform.

I installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra2.  Knowing it needed prom update.  It
automatically installed the 64 bit and the 32 bit.  And gave me a warning
that until I update the Prom, I will not be able to use the 64 bit.

After installing Solaris 8, it ask me to update the prom.  But I had to shut
down the box to get access to the "Write enable/protect" jumper on the
motherboard.  By default, it is write protected.

After changing the jumper to "Write enable", the Ultra2 asked me again to
update the prom.  I comply.  Surprisely, the prom updates package were
already loaded on the hard disk, no need to load it from CD.  It loaded,
rebooted and it was done.

But now I still run in 32 bit mode.  I checked that prom's "boot-file" is
not set.  Until I "Uncomment" the last line in the /platform/sun4u/boot.conf
file I was able to boot at 64 bit.

I guess before you start, change the jumper on the motherboard and if you
can, update the Prom.  Then you may be OK.

OT