[Sunhelp] rsh permission denied problem

Kevin Nolan k77_99 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 08:21:18 CDT 1999

Hi,

I'm having a problem with rsh on our network.
for one sun host only, if i rsh a remote host to run
a command, say pwd or ls, then i get the following
error message echoed to my cmdtool:

rcmd: socket: Permission denied.

the issuesd command was simply

rsh 'hostname' pwd

Note that this problem only exists for one machine.
i'm running 2.5.1 on all machines, with the
entire distribution installed.

i have /etc/hosts.equiv and /.rhosts set up
on every machine, and have been successfully
running NIS for the last 2-3 years. Groups and netid
NIS maps are correctly set up, and by and large everything looks hunky
dorey on all hosts, even the problematic one. I've consulted with two
other sys admin guys from other companies and they don't know either.
I'm not running secure rpc, and only NIS, not NIS+. i've exhausted all
the obvoius errors or mistakes on my or the users part.

Has anyone ever seen this? any suggestions or ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

The only thing about this machine thats different to other suns on site
is that its a Clear Case server, which i know nothing about. Might this
have affected the network stack?

if i simply 'rsh remotehost' then i get logged in fine, it looks like
its the reply of the 'pwd' command from the remote host thats blocked.

thanks,

Kevin Nolan.