[Sunhelp] SS10 mbus upgrade question

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Thu Sep 16 15:17:51 CDT 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, KJH wrote:

> I have a Sparcstation 10 with an SM30 cpu; I'd like to upgrade the cpu.
> But, my hardware guide only has main board jumper settings for up to 40 mhz
> for the processor speed.  How do you set jumpers for hypersparc and other
> chips that run at 90 mhz and up?  I'd like to know before I buy one,
> possibly without documentation.

The jumper settings set the mbus speed.  CPU's with cache run faster
internally than the mbus, so set the mbus to the maximum (40MHz).  Run a
"module-info" at the ok prompt after you upgrade the CPU to see your
various system clocks.

> I've already upgraded the boot prom to version 2.25, which I understand is
> necessary for the higher-speed cpus to work.

Some of them.  SuperSPARC-II (SM71/SM81) requires 2.19, HyperSPARC
requires 2.22, some fast HyperSPARC CPU's require 2.25 or a special ROSS
version.

-James