[Sunhelp] ?: How to install Solaris on A1000 and boot up from it

zahoor alam zahoor at omantel.net.om
Fri Sep 10 07:59:05 CDT 1999

|>Dear experts,
|>
|>IHAC that he's going to use A1000 only as system disks.
|>Could you tell me how to install the Solaris OS on A1000, and boot up
|>from it?
|>
|>I'll appreciate your any ideas.
|>
|>Thanks,
|>WK Chang

Here is how you do it:
================
1. Create a lun0 on the A1000 if it is a new installation.
2. Check that the default lun0 size is the correct size needed for the
install.
3. Boot from the CDROM and install Solaris on lun0. Then boot from the
A1000.
4. Install rm6 6.1.1 update 1
5. Edit the /usr/lib/osa/rmparams file and ensure the following variable is
set to TRUE:
    Rdac_SupportDisabled
6. Do a boot -r
7. Edit the rmparams file again and change the Rdac_SupportDisabled to
FALSE.
8. Run the following command:
    /etc/init.d/rdacctrl config
9. Edit the /etc/system file and add the following entry:
    rootdev:/pseudo/rdnexus at 0/rdriver at 4,0:a

To find out what the entry is, look in the /kernel/drv/rdriver.conf file.

For hosts with one RAID device:

look for the lun0 entry in the rdriver.conf file. It will look something
like the following:

name="rdriver" module=1 lun=0 target=4 parent="/pseudo/rdnexus at 0"
dev_a=0x800028 dev_b=0x800188;

Use the target number for the rdriver number.

For hosts with more than one RAID device, the correct module should be the
first instance of lun=0 from the bottom of the file, eg.:

name="rdriver" module=2 lun=0 target=5 parent="/pseudo/rdnexus at 2"
dev_a=0x800028 dev_b=0x800188;

would give the following entry in the /etc/system file:
rootdev:/pseudo/rdnexus at 2/rdriver at 5,0:a.

Pay close attention to the rdnexus@<n> value and the target value. Using the
wrong values could result in a crashed system.

10. Run another boot -r.

Make sure you've installed the latest patches. They are mentioned somewhere
in the RM6 Release Notes. Also the above instructions are for Solaris 2.6. I
don't know about Solaris 7.

--
zahoor alam
customer support engineer