[Sunhelp] Printer setup questions

Bill Bradford mrbill at frenzy.com
Fri Jun 25 10:18:29 CDT 1999

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 09:14:26AM -0400, Eric Williams wrote:
> I have a couple of "oddball" printers on a network that I would like to
> make queues for on Solaris 2.5.1 Ultra machine.
> 1) Apple Laserwriter 16/600 PS. I had this working once after following
> instructions from Apple and Sun. Neither solution worked but after hours of
> playing around the queue worked. Since then it failed and I don't know what
> made it work before. Anyone have any experience here? The printer has an IP
> address. Some of the problems are ASCII files print out in stairstep
> fashion so that each line is moved to right enough that by the second or
> third line nothing prints on the page. Also sometimes the queue seems to
> hang and is not very cooperative when trying to free it. This is how I lost
> the old queue.

Read the FreeBSD handbook's section on setting up /etc/printcap - its the best
tutorial I've seen on the subject to date.

> 2) HP Deskjet 1120Cxi with a Jetdirect card. I had this queue working once,
> again not sure what I did to make it work after hours of just messing with
> it. For Postscript files I had to filter it through Ghostscript at the
> command line but would like to have that filtering going on in the queue.
> Couldn't get that working. Anyone with this experience?

I finally got a HP DeskJet 1200C/PS working fine with our office full of
Sun and Non-Sun equipment yesterday, and the Windows machines can even print
to it  through SAMBA.  One tip tho - look for "magicfilter" and USE IT.

Bill

Bill Bradford * mrbill at frenzy.com * mrbill at sunhelp.com
   http://www.sunhelp.com / http://www.sunhelp.org