[Sunhelp] Printer setup questions

Eric Williams eric at urania.astro.wesleyan.edu
Fri Jun 25 08:14:26 CDT 1999

I have a couple of "oddball" printers on a network that I would like to
make queues for on Solaris 2.5.1 Ultra machine.

1) Apple Laserwriter 16/600 PS. I had this working once after following
instructions from Apple and Sun. Neither solution worked but after hours of
playing around the queue worked. Since then it failed and I don't know what
made it work before. Anyone have any experience here? The printer has an IP
address. Some of the problems are ASCII files print out in stairstep
fashion so that each line is moved to right enough that by the second or
third line nothing prints on the page. Also sometimes the queue seems to
hang and is not very cooperative when trying to free it. This is how I lost
the old queue.

2) HP Deskjet 1120Cxi with a Jetdirect card. I had this queue working once,
again not sure what I did to make it work after hours of just messing with
it. For Postscript files I had to filter it through Ghostscript at the
command line but would like to have that filtering going on in the queue.
Couldn't get that working. Anyone with this experience?

Thanks for any pointers!

Eric Williams                                          Van Vleck Observatory
eric at astro.wesleyan.edu                   Wesleyan University
(860) 685-3664                                      Middletown, CT 06459
http://www.astro.wesleyan.edu
What the Microsoft slogan really means to say is:
"Where do you want to go today?
It doesn't matter...your coming with us." - as seen on the web.