[Sunhelp] Help for a good HUB

Stephen Holmes sholmes at atlan-tech.com
Tue Jul 27 02:04:14 CDT 1999

My answer would greatly depend upon the paramaters you wish to maximise.

3Com hubs are good, for performance you might wish to look at switches or fast
switches.

Allied Telesyn make the cheapest 8 port hub I can get.
HP also do a good line of economical "Procurve" hubs.

If you really want fast switches with ~20 ports check out cisco, intel and 3com.
Specs all look very similar, I use 3com and regard their offering as excellent.

If it's closer to 100 machines then...

3com will stack 4 up for this sort of number
Inter stack 8 high for close on 200 ports.
Cisco - don't know but I'd guess at least 4 high.
HP sell a modular chassis switch which can do up to 80 fast ports in a single
unit at very good value (Also takes gigabit modules).

Steve Holmes