[Sunhelp] Default router

morgan.g morgang at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 20:26:13 CDT 1999

Hi,

To turn on default router on the fly..or maybe change the router, do this:

**Make sure you can manually ping the router before adding it!

# route -f (flushes the routing table if there was a previous route)
# route add default 10.2.2.65 1

default   - indicates the router as a static default router
10.2.2.65 - Is the new router IP address
'1'       - the number of hops to reach router (normally one)

Also edit the /etc/defaultrouter file to indicate a new router IP

To have "history" ie, using arrow keys to go back, there are two ways:

1. Install tcsh, which is not a default solaris shell, but can be found in
http://sunfreeware.com
2. Use the default ksh (k shell), it does history using vi keys, to do this:

if you are in different shell:
# ksh -o vi

if you already in ksh:
# set -o vi

depress the esc key, then use vi commands to manupulate:

k - the previos commands will appear(this is what you need most)
l - move left
h - move right
R- replace characters
r - replace single character
x - delete character
/key-string - search for key-string you typed before long long ago in.
there are many more ofcourse...I'll stop here.

if you are good in vi, you'll love this

I personally like ksh. Hope that answers your questions.

Morgan G