[Sunhelp] Newbie Tips

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Sun Jul 4 18:07:12 CDT 1999

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Michael Radtke wrote:

> First of all, thank you very much to everyone that has helped me so far
> with my hand-me-down Sparcstation 1.  I really appreciate it!  I have
> gotten memory installed, (eight 1MB simms for now), and would like to fire
> this puppy up and run it remotely via a null modem/serial cable connection
> to my NT box.  The problem is that, when I start the Sun, I see the lights
> come on and hear the power supply fun run, but no other activity.  I cannot
> see a thing with either Hyperterminal or HostAccess.  I thought that all I
> had to do was start the Sun without graphics or a keyboard plugged in and
> attach a null modem connection to port A to see terminal output on my PC.
> Am I missing something?  Is something wrong with the BIOS?

Which slots are the SIMMs installed in, and are they full parity and 100ns
or faster?

An earlier poster mentioned the SIMM layout required for the SS2.  The
other SparcStations that use 30-pin SIMMs require them to be installed
contiguously.  From the Sun h/w reference:

        Memory consists of up to sixteen 1M (501-1408) or 4M (501-1625
        or 501-1739) x 9 30-pin 80 or 100ns SIMMs, in four banks. Banks
        must be filled in the order 0, 2, 1, 3, and SIMM types may not
        be mixed within banks.

                Nearest disk connectors
                 _______     _______
                |       |   |       |
                |   0   |   |   1   |
                |       |   |       |

                Nearest SBus connectors

In other words, the first four SIMMs should go in U0585/U0586/U0587/U0588,
the next four should go in U0589/U0590/U0591/U0584, and so on.

-James