[Sunhelp] Newbie Tips

Parag Patel ppatel at preferred.com
Sun Jul 4 12:50:23 CDT 1999

I'm in the same boat. I just installed linux on a sparcstation 2 of similar
type. As someone here mentioned, the term port A can be used as a console
with a simple term program on your PC and a null modem. One thing to be aware
of is that some sparcs will crash if the serial port console is shut down (or
turned off/unplugged) while the sparcstation is still active. I got this from
a sunhelp link, and have not tried it myself.

You may need to check the hard drives, I needed to change the 400+ MB drive
for something larger for linux 6.0 (ps, keep the bracket that is used to
mount the drives). I installed the linux using a direct internet connection
and the network install disk. There is an AUI connector for 10 mbit ethernet
on the back of the case (I think). I bought a new adapter for about $25
shipped, I bet you can due better new, and much better surplus. Once the
operating system is installed, you can use the ethernet connection to run a
remote terminal on your pc. Also there is a program called VNC (virtual
network computer) that will allow you to export an X display much easier then
configuring your PC with an X server.

RAM: old pc ram works fine in my sparc, so it should in yours as well, but
the banks are interlaced in a different way then pc's:

Machine front:

4    4
3    3
2    2
1    1
4    4
3    3
2    2
1    1
SBus slots 1, 2, 3
Machine back:

You will need to fill all the 1s together, 2s, 3s, and 4s. Mine came with sun
4MB barcoded ram in bank 1, what appears to be PC ram (4MB) in bank 2. I
installed 70 ns, 1 MB SIMMS in banks 3 and 4. The machine lists the correct
ram in the startup banner, but for some reason only tests 1 MB.

One last thing: It took me about 45 min. to download and install linux on my
machine using a 10 mbps internet connection, with very low load. If you are
going to try a remote installation, a direct internet connection will save
you a lot of grief. If you have a PC running an MS product, realize that it
may not maintain the proper filenames for an FTP install. If you have NetBSD
or other Unix already installed, then the CD (or other media) should maintain
the correct filenames for the installation program.

Hope my experiences help.
Parag Patel
ppatel at preferred.com