[Sunhelp] ZX Framebuffer on a SS2/Solaris 7

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Dec 27 23:33:23 CST 1999

On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 10:35:52PM -0500, Sean wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I have a SparcStation 2 running Solaris 7 and was wondering if it was
> possible to use a ZX fb with this setup. When I installed the card and
> booted the machine I got an error message that the system couldnt find a
> device driver for the console framebuffer and it booted into text mode.
> >From what I can tell the package SUNWleo has the device drivers for this
> card but I havent found that package on the solaris cd. Has anyone done
> this before? Any ideas?
> Thanks in Advance,
> Sean

Support for the ZX card stopped in Solaris 2.6; I'm not sure (I dont
remember) if its even supported in the SS2 at all.  I dont think so; I
think the drivers are for sun4m or better, only (the manual talks about
a SS2, but I remember seeing a bug on sunsolve saying that was a typo).

You can use it under Sol7 if you copy the drivers off a 2.6 CD, but it
will be unaccelerated (e.g., really really slow).

Bill

--
|Bill Bradford          | mrbill at pdp11.org     | mrbill at mrbill.net    |