[Sunhelp] Network Problem

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Thu Aug 26 23:10:25 CDT 1999

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, bryanf at samurai.com wrote:

>> 3: ifconfig hme0 192.152.1.1 up  (of course, replace 192.152.1.1 with a valid
>>                                    ip address)
>
>192.152.1.0 is a valid IP network on the Internet, owned by Public Service
>Company of New Mexico, though it doesn't appear to have active routing.  If
>you're wanting to use RFC1918 private addresses you likely meant 192.168.1.1.

 The term "valid" was used to mean "valid to his network". I do not think that
the ip address used in my example would be valid to him.  :)
 I used the 192.152 network because my company happens to own 4 of the class
C's in that block.

>> p.s.- No rebooting should be necessary. If this fails I would open the machine
>>         and make certain that the NIC wasn't jarred loose during transport.
>
>Isn't the NIC in an Ultra5 on the motherboard?

  I have no idea, I haven't played with an Ultra 5 before.

david hansen