[SPARCbook] SparcBook S1

dwight elvey dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:19:20 CDT 2010

> From: p_emanuelsson at gmx.net
>
> Dwight,
>
> I do have an S1, complete with SCSI adapter and original carrying case.
> I've got the model with one disk and a floppy drive - bought it new back in
'92.
> Additionally I've got the complete schematics - unfortunately no PROM
contents.

> Can't find the adapter right now. In fact I can't find anything
> since my girlfriend cleaned up my workroom. But it's definitely
> a Trantor and T348 sounds right.
> Problem is, you need the special Sparcbook adapter cable. If you buy
> an APA348 it will probably have a standard parallel port connector.
>
> I'd be surprised if your CMOS clock is still keeping the contents.
> Nice to hear someone is caring for an S1 though!
>
> Regards,
> Pell

Hi Pell
 I have the bag, manual, mouse and special cable to standard 1284 parallel
port but no
adapter. I'n building a new battery pack but having a little har time finding
shrink tubing large enough. A local place has 1.5 inch but that is
just a tiny bit too small.
 My gut feeling is that it was the t338 and not the t348. Still, the
t348 may be backward compatible to the t338.
 Adaptec bought out Trantor and looking inside the APA348, it
has Trantor on two of the chips.
 I just tried to connect things up but it blew the fuse on the CDROM
drive. It seems the Sparcbook needs to be powered on first or
it draws power through the driver chip in the Sparcbook
to the +5V rail.
 It is one of those tiny radial lead fuses so I'm going to bypass
it with a 3ag style one. I checked to make sure nothing
else was going to draw current. It may work without needing
special sequencing with the t338 but I'll try this first since I don't
have a t338 yet ( looking at one though ).
 The NVRAM still has data correct but the clock is not happy.
I expect to put it in my EPROM programmer to copy it out
just incase. Then I'll try hacking the case to replace
the battery. It is the MK48T02.
 I'd love a copy of the schemaics if you had them scanned.
Dwight