[SPARCbook] Sparcbook experiences from new list member

Liam Liam1f at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 14:13:40 CST 2009

Hi Julian,

Apropos batteries: THAT, as you will well know, looks like a damned good
idea! I would be particularly intrigued as to how you get on.

My apologies for not jumping straight into it myself (time restrictions, you
understand), but if you can do it, I will try it.

I have installed physically oversized memory on at least a couple of my
SB3s, which means the battery doesn't fit in again. However, if I could get
an internal battery working, I would search for smaller modules.

As a point of interest, I have never tried an external battery on these
machines. After finishing my latest project (nothing fancy; just reloading
an Amrel Rocky II for the kids to use as soon as they are able to lift it),
I had in mind to try the universal external batteries I have. One is a
dubious one which claims to take various input voltages and to produce
specific output voltages, which, although the 12V doesn't quite match the
4amp spec, MAY work. The other one is a Maplin own brand, and I was
wondering about trying the 15V output. Not sure on that one, but, doubtless,
one day, Guinness will get the upper hand and reckless experimentation will
ensue. I'll let you know how I get on.

The CF card adapter sounds great. I think I've missed the boat on a device
like that, though. I recently bought a CF drive, at a ridiculous clearance
price, for my Tadpole Talin 15, but have not tried it out yet.

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers, Liam