[SPARCbook] Ultrabook I Ram Question

Borgen_Gary gary.borgen at verizon.net
Sat Oct 29 13:58:55 CDT 2005

I recently picked up an Ultrabook I in a laptop lot off ebay.

It had no power supply so I purchased the correct connector from Lemo:
FGG.0B.305.CLAD52 and a suitable power supply off ebay.  Works fine.

I then rooted the existing OS (mounted the drive in an external Sparcbook
hard drive module with an ADTX SCSI to IDE adapter and edited the shadow
password file)  and had access to the machine.  Seems to work fine.  I will
have to upgrade the OBP from 3.15 to 3.18 before I try to load Solaris 8,
however.

The unit came with 128MB of ram on two 64MB memory cards.  Only half the RAM
chips are populated on the modules.  I want to expand the memory of the
machine to 256MB (I have done this successfully on a Powerlite Turbo 170,
which how has 256MB of RAM).

I found a source for the exact RAM chips (new) and populated the boards with
an additional 64MB per module.  I also added an addition 74LVT162244 buffer
to each board.

There are two resistors on the memory modules R1 and R2.  On the stock 64MB
boards, R1 (33 ohms) is populated and R2 is not.  I have tried every
combination of two resistors in these locations, yet the machine refused to
boot with the fully populated boards.

Does anyone out there have a stock 128MB module (in a 256MB machine)?  If
so, can you describe configuration of the board (which resistor is populated
and what is it's value)?   Or better yet scan the board top and bottom and
email me the pictures.

Also could someone verify that both the two smaller buffer chips of the
board are 74LVT162244 parts (LVT162244 would be printed on the chip)?  I
just assumed that was the correct part to place in the open IC location
below the other LVT162244.

Thanks.