[SPARCbook] sparc 3gx

J L Alexander jalex at pobox.com
Wed Jul 20 23:08:45 CDT 2005

I have a sparcbook 3gx I would like to get rid of, maybe 50$+10$ shipping and
you can have it - good parts machine. (price OBO)

Only three things wrong with it:
won't boot due to 0c0 error code indicating a corrupt bootprom (major issue)
battery cover switch doesn't work, broken and rubber feet missing (minor
issue)
battery doesn't last long and was never very good for me.  I had two but tried
to rebuild one and never got it put back together.  One was never taken
apart.

I did some work on the 0c0 issue in 2002 and I haven't seen anyone with an
easy fix for the issue.  It could be that there is a hardware failure, but I
tested out the individual pieces and even without memory or a harddrive, it
behaves the same.   In other words, the parts are more valuable than the box.

Details:
*scsi floppy + cable
*170mb pcmcia drive with case
*power cable
*1.2gb internal scsi hard drive (solaris 2.6 on it I believe)
*32 mb ram, I believe
*pcmcia network card that worked with it
*modem that came with it...never tried to use it
*transceiver/cable for built-in network card to convert to rj45
*big fat leather case (which is in good shape except for the handle..it
broke,so I used a belt in it's place)
*The screen is good and had no bad pixels when I used it two years ago.

I think that's it.   If any of you guys are still using a 3gx and your 3gx
boots, then you might be able to use the parts.

I am on the 'digest', so email me at jalex at pobox dot com for quicker
response.   I check email in the evenings, weekdays.

Thanks!

-Jason