[SPARCbook] Getting Java to work with Mozilla on a 3GX/Solaris 7

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sun Apr 24 08:28:28 CDT 2005

OS: Solaris 7
Browser version: Mozilla 1.4 (the latest Mozilla or Firefox I could
	find pre-compiled for Solaris 7)
Attempted Java environment version: 1.4.1

I'm about to show a serious lack of Java clue; but here's what
I've done.

Mozilla is working just fine -- slowly, but fine.  I've grabbed
what I believe to be the correct and latest-available JRE from
Sun via: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010600.xml
and dropped it into /usr/j2se.

I've then attempted to make Mozilla aware of the plugin in the same
way that I've made it aware on other systems (like my Solaris 9 box):

	cd /opt/mozilla/plugins
	ln -s /usr/j2se/jre/plugin/sparc/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Subsequently invoking Mozilla yields no joy: it gets very busy
for about 10 seconds and then exits, silently.

Various experiments (using ns600 instead of ns610, etc.) similarly
yield nothing useful.  I have the feeling I'm doing something
fundamentally stupid, but can't quite figure out what it is...so
please, flail away with the cluesticks.

---Rsk