[SPARCbook] Solaris 8 Installation on Ultrabook

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Fri Nov 7 08:04:05 CST 2003

I picked up a 200 MHz Ultrabook minus the disk. I installed a 12 GB disk
and now need to install an OS. I tried NetBSD 1.6.1 but it doesn't like the
IDE disk controller. The boot ROM and Solaris report a bad magic number so
I know that the system can see the new disk.

I don't have the external SCSI cable so I am now trying to do a net install
of Solaris 8. I can get the install kernel to boot and run. The first thing
it asks for is the language. The keyboard works fine with the boot ROM but
doesn't work when the Solaris install kernel comes up.

I haven't tried earlier versions of  Solaris but I do have all of the CDs.

Ideas?

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson at IDS.net