[SPARCbook] Which BSD, and will anyone ever do the pcmcia bridge?

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Wed Mar 5 02:35:32 CST 2003

> > This is hard to discuss on the *bsd lists due to religion, but:
>
> Oh, I think I'm going to hurt some religious feelings really soon now
> (sorry guys, but...)
>

> > I need functional support of the power subsystem (heat and suspend)
> > The best graphics support I can get
> > and some *hope* of eventual sound support and (would someone accept a
> > BRIBE to finish this?) PCMCIA support so I can finally just pop a
> > wavelan card in there.
> > (yes, the wi driver for solaris 2.6 would be fine- even better, since
> > I'd have full hardware support)
> >
> > so, any opinions?
>
> Stick with Solaris. If you have 64MB or more it will run happily. It does
> what you want and it does it *now*. You will get almost any software you
> may wish, sometimes with a little hassle but Solaris 2.6 is still pretty
> up to date in most points. And it supports all your hardware ( not too
> sure about wavelan, the driver may ba picky which cards it likes )

Well, that's the whole enchilada there. I'd deal with text console only
if I had to to get wavelan on this. But it doesn't- as far as I can
tell- exists for 2.6

I'm not opposed to bsd of any sort for this machine, but I really want
the wavelan. whcih means pcmcia. soalris has pcmcia, bsd has wi.

(Also, I have WP 6 for 2.6, which is my favorite wsywiglike word
processing app)