[SPARCbook] ram upgrade on a 3gx

Julian Coleman jdc at coris.org.uk
Sun Jul 27 04:09:03 CDT 2003

> All you need to make sure you get is low profile (1" max) Parity FPM
> RAM. I went down my local computer shop and got 2x32Mb matched Kingston
> memory for about $20. Part number KTC1481/64.
>
> Crucial claim to have them here:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Tadpole%2B&
> mfr=Tadpole&cat=RAM&model=SPARCbook+3&submit=Go
>
> at $39.99 each, which doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. It also
> looks like the wrong type of RAM, since Sparcbooks like parity. Oh well.

A while ago, I bought 2 x 32Mb for my 3GX from Crucial.  No problems.
However, they don't seem to do parity memory anymore.  Unless I'm missing
something, the 3 and 3XP memory that they're offering is non-parity.  The
memory I have is 72 pin, 32Mb, 60ns, fast page mode, parity, low profile.
Presumably the non-parity memory works in the 3 and 3XP but does it work
in the 3GX?

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/