[SPARCbook] ultrabook I - no sign of life

Paul Douglas paul at douglasfamily.au.com
Sat Aug 23 06:01:43 CDT 2003

Hi

Is there any way of knowing if an ultrabook I is working if there's no memory
installed?  I have connected it to an 18v power supply.  It's not a tadpole one,
just something for testing.  I've grounded the AC failure indicator.  I wanted
to see if the machine worked before spending money on memory, which I'm going to
have to buy from tadpole and which I presume will be fairly expensive.

When I first plugged it in I got, on the status display, an empty battery
symbol, a power on symbol, and a flashing heart symbol, in roughly the middle of
the display.  I don't think there was a power cord symbol to indicate that it
thought it was connected to the mains.  There is no mention of a flashing heart
in the documentation I have so I don't know what that means.  I disconnected it
while I looked through the documentation.  I tried using the power switch on the
machine to switch it off.  Maybe I have succeeded!

Now, there's nothing on the status indicator at all.  With the power
disconnected, pressing the power on button causes all the symbols on the status
bar to light briefly and then go out.  With the power connected, nothing happens
at all if I press the power button.  When I connect the power, all the symbols
illuminate briefly, then go out.

I seem to remember that my Ultra 30 with no memory in was completely dead, and I
wonder of this is the same?

Should there be anything showing on the status bar if the machine is off but
connected up and the battery is charging?  And will the battery charge with no
memory there, or is everything disabled?

Many thanks

Paul Douglas