[SPARCbook] Ultrabook I Power Supply Question

Paul Douglas paul at douglasfamily.au.com
Sat Aug 9 15:59:03 CDT 2003

I know this topic has had various airings so apologies if this has been asked
before...

I have recently acquired an Ultrabook I.  It doesn't have a power supply, memory
or hdd (I didn't pay a great deal!).  Before worrying re the latter 2 I'd like
to get a power supply fixed up so I can test the unit.  I know it's very
unlikely that one will turn up on ebay and that a genuine part is v expensive.
Even if I eventually decide to buy a tadpole one, I want to get it all up and
running first.

I have seen a mail saying that a non-standard power supply capable of delivering
the right volts/amps will work.  That presumably requires a suitable plug: does
anyone know where one is available (by mail order)?

I presume the answer is "no" but does anyone supply a non-oem adaptor, like
those available for most standard laptops?

The unit does have a battery so I could test it by charging that: it wouldn't
matter if it didn't hold its charge for long.  Any suggestions for how to
charge?  I presume a trickle charger would do it if I knew the pin config on the
battery.

Finally, I've seen a mail re an older sparcbook also using an 18v supply.  Is
this similar enough that it would run the ultrabook?  They are sometimes
available on ebay.

Many thanks

Paul Douglas
paul at douglasfamily.au.com