[SPARCbook] (more) linux install troubles

Matthias Granberry matthias at utdallas.edu
Thu Sep 12 02:45:51 CDT 2002

I just blew the dust off my SPARCbook and saw that it looked like
linux support was a little more advanced now and that maybe things
would work a little better than the bloated install of Solaris that I
had on it.  I was wrong.

I managed to get debian installed, but they use a 2.2-era kernel,
without any sparcbook-specific stuff compiled in, so it runs
unbelievably hot when it's on.  More annoyingly, I get a kernel panic
just after the partition check/scsi initialization.  I haven't tried
seeing what happens with an older kernel (I'm using 2.4.19).  Does
anyone have a "favorite" kernel for using their sparcbooks?

While I'm at it, what is the status on X for these things?  Is it
still restricted to 8bpp unaccelerated?

Thanks,
Matthias Granberry