[SPARCbook] linux install trouble

Super-User helsod at algonet.se
Tue Sep 10 15:27:18 CDT 2002

Thomas Roehr wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Redhat 6.2 won't support the P9100. What you need to do is install 6.2,
> then build a 2.4 kernel, which does have the support for the P9100.
Hm.. I hadn't realised that. It seems a little confusing to have the
driver on the list
if the driver doesn't exist. I tried it again and possibly the
script/program crashes when
it doesnt find the driver.

> There is a small problem with the mouse pointer code that I have a patch
> for. I can also ship a built kernel to you if you want.

That would be excellent :-)
I have managed to get the installation going now by selecting cg3
for the x-driver the installation continues in textmode. This means I
will be able to
install the new kernel or recompile if the installation completes using
the text console.
Then I can set up the x-server files manually and start with the new
driver.

I dont know how to do this stuff with kernel compilation etc. The driver
would be incorporated
in the kernel somehow??, or is Linux all dynamic by now?
I'm used to Solaris where everything just works, and boot -r takes care
of new hardware.

I do have some book though where its outlined for a pc, i suppose it
will be pretty much
the same procedure on a Sparc.
I think I can probably figure it out if I get that far.

Would the kernel be a very large file? Do you suppose you have access to
a server, isp or similar
where you could upload it so I can get it into the sparcbook. My machine
is behind a firewall at my isp,
so it will not be possible to access it I'm afraid. For a smaller file I
might be able to find
room at my Algonet account. Perhaps in source form..

Thank you,
Peter