[SPARCbook] linux install trouble

Helena Söderholm helsod at algonet.se
Tue Sep 10 08:52:49 CDT 2002

Hello Everybody !

I was trying to install Linux RedHat 6.2 on my Sparcbook 3GX using the "zoot" iso. Everything seems to be going well until
where I choose the gfx card from a list. The program crashes and dumps some debug printouts that seem to indicate that X crashed
while trying to start. I'm trying to choose the Weitech P9100 driver. Is this not the one to use?

Also its a bit unclear what I'm selecting in that list. Can it be as simple as a misunderstanding of which selection I have made. Is pure texmode
and a bit messy on the screen. Btw, is it not possible to write the installation code so that it doesnt have to crash down to open boot when the driver fails. Its a bit tedious to have to start over and input a whole bunch of data before getting another shot at the framebuffer selection.

Has anyone managed to get this install to work. Any insights or tips would be greatly apreciated.
The RedHat page linked at Sunhelp listed the installation as tricky (3 tier). I would very much like to know the tricks :-)

Thank you,
Peter