[SPARCbook] project: ruggedized outdoor astronomy sparcbook

Jonathan Kalbfeld jonathan at ThoughtWave.NET
Fri Sep 6 17:24:17 CDT 2002

Here's my project:

I'd like to build a completely new enclosure for a sparcbook, using the
existing keyboard, motherboard and I/O ports, and an LCD display I've
salvaged from a P1000G, and maybe a 1.2GB drive and some memory.

The plan is to insert a piece of red plastic (purchasable from tap
plastics) between the LCD and the enclosure, completely flatten the whole
thing out (so that it can be used by a person standing up), and waterproof
everything including the keyboard (to keep dew from getting in there...
ewwww.. dew!).

I want to build in a battery assembly and actually use the whole thing
instead of a counterweight (for those of you who know about equatorial
telescope mounts, this is one) so that I can stand and operate the scope
from my computer.

Has anyone done anything like this?  These things are pretty adaptable,
but I hate to butcher one of my 3gxes, and I don't think I could spend the
money for a complete working one, so if anyone has the following to sell:

1/ Sparcbook keyboard
2/ Sparcbook motherboard w/ CPU module & backplane.
3/ Sparcbook drive enclosure & memory (not as important)

I don't think I'd need anything else to make it work on a workbench... can
anyone think of anything else?  If you have these parts to sell, let me
know.  I'm a cheap bastard as the recession has really sapped the life out
of our pocket books and spending actual dough for a recreational project
has taken a back seat to paying the mortgage and keeping the food running
and water on the table--or something like that.

Thanks,

jonathan

--
Jonathan Kalbfeld    M268@>6]U('!L87D@=&AI<R!M  ThoughtWave Technologies LLC