[SPARCbook] Re: Backup?

Bob Bramwell bob at copenhagen.cuug.ab.ca
Tue Apr 30 13:07:38 CDT 2002

There is, in fact, a "built-in" way to do this.  Look for the "makenetbu"
command to do this over a network, or the "makebu" command if you have a local
tape drive (or whatever).  These produce a backup which is compatible with the
"Standalone Restore" option of the boot monitor menu.  I *highly* recommend you
do this!  When my S2 cratered it took a couple of years to find a disk,
installation media, and wherewithall to make it go again.

If you truly have 4.1.3 on your system I would appreciate a copy of any such
"makebu" you could send.  Thanks to this list I managed to get installation
media for 4.1.2, but it is rather flakey and hard to work with.  I would be
willing to trade you a photocopy of the SparcBook 2 User Guide if that would
help.

Cheers,
	Bob.

>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:00:05 -0500
>From: sparcbook-request at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Sparcbook digest, Vol 1 #600 - 1 msg
>To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>
>Message: 1
>From: <glb at xenon22.freeserve.co.uk>
>To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:09:41 +0200
>Subject: [SPARCbook] Backup?
>
>I now have a fully working Sparcbook 2 with Sunos 4.1.3 installed.
Unfortunately it did not come with any installation media, so I was wondering if
it's possible to create a backup of the system to tape/CD/network/whatever so
that I can boot off this and do a re-install should everything go pear-shaped.