[SPARCbook] Re: Backup?

Nathan J. Mehl memory at blank.org
Tue Apr 30 12:06:02 CDT 2002

> I now have a fully working Sparcbook 2 with Sunos 4.1.3 installed.
> Unfortunately it did not come with any installation media, so I was
> wondering if it's possible to create a backup of the system to
> tape/CD/network/whatever so that I can boot off this and do a
> re-install should everything go pear-shaped.

There's no native way to create a bootable backup image in SunOS 4 (or
5 for that matter -- what do you think this is, AIX?), but since the
internal drive on a sparcbook is (a) scsi, and (b) small, it should be
pretty straightforward to use dd to make an image copy of it that can
be burned to cdrom for later restoration.

-n