[SPARCbook] What software improvments?

John Altstatt jea at altstatt.com
Wed Apr 17 11:25:27 CDT 2002

David Cantrell wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 11:46:36AM -0400, Thomas Roehr wrote:
>
> > When you say better console support, do you mean better then the CG3 hack that
> > is currently used, i.e. take advantage of the p9100 acceleration chip?
>
> I don't know.  What I do know, however, is that Linux on my Sparcbook uses
> the PROM-style console, not the framebuffer console that it does on any
> other Sun-a-like, and that this is unbearably slow.
>
> Maybe there's a driver in later versions, I'm still using 2.2.18.
>
> --
> David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david
>
>   emacs: for a brave GNU Word
>              -- cdevers, in #london.pm

This PROM-based console used to be a problem on other Sun machines. There
is a hack which writes the PROM code to memory and executes that instead
of the PROM located code. I'll try to find it. It may take awhile as I haven't
seen it for several years.

-John Altstatt   jea at DOESNTEXISTaltstatt.com

N.B.: you know what to do with the 'NONEXIST" in the return address