[SPARCbook] 3000XT PCMCIA cdrom problem

Miles Nordin sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 10 13:23:58 CST 2001

>>>>> "kh" == Ken Hansen <n2vip at yahoo.com> writes:
>>>>> "jk" == Jason King <linuxguru at stny.rr.com> writes:

    kh> CD-ROM has to attach to the *on board* SCSI connector.

    jk> this is a PCMCIA PANASONIC KXL-D740 cdrom drive with the
    jk> PCMCIA card, and is noted in plain black and white in the
    jk> pamplet I mentioned that came with this SPARCbook originally.
    jk> My guess was, that being they talk about it, that is should
    jk> work plain and simple.

Perhaps it does work, AFTER Solaris + Tadpolepatches is booted.  I
believe this is the situation with regular SCSI CD-ROM's that don't
support the 512-byte hack: they work in Solaris, but not in OpenPROM.
It would be worth Tadpole's while to tip you off toward a super-small
portable CD-ROM, even if it doesn't work for installing the OS.
AFAIK, OpenPROM does not support PC Cards.  but, stranger things have
happened.

Or, consnider this.  Some of the Panasonic ``PCMCIA'' CD-ROM's are
SCSI CD-ROM's with an included PC Card SCSI adapter.  If the manual
instructed you to buy one of these, you might be expected to get one
with a cable that can connect the Discman unit into the on-board SCSI,
bypassing the PC Card that Panasonic includes for PeeCee's with no
internal SCSI.

probe-scsi should list your CD-ROM, and the CD-ROM should plug into
the on-board connector like Ken said.

--
shadowy grove
outside the locked ward