[SPARCbook] Wavelan/Orinoco - Hows it going ??

Thomas Roehr sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 10:18:21 CST 2001

Super-User wrote:

> The topic of getting the Wavelan / Orinoco cards running on the
> Sparcbook has been
> covered before, I just wondered if anyone has made in progress lately.
>
> Does any version of Linux work, I have the feeling that Linux dont do
> well at all on Sparcbook, maybe that has changed lately.

Sparc Linux works well from the 2.2 kernel on, 2.4 kernels are much better.
Linux has same problems with PCMCIA as the bsd's, not supported yet,
although the hooks are in place for the TS102 controller.

I have run a 2.4 Kernel contiuously for over 100 days with no heat
problems.

WaveLan is supported nicely with Linux, I am sending this email from my
ThinkPad via Gold unit.

> I would like to use Solaris 2.6 though on the Sparcbook. That would work
> best I think.

Solaris 2.6 patches for the SB are available from Tadpole by ftp. Check the
SB FAQ at www.sunhelp.org.

> How hard would it be to write a driver for the card anyway, based on the
> OpenBSD code for example, but working with Solaris 2.6

A headache, but possible. I have looked into starting it, but I have no
free time at the moment. Sun does provide sample device drivers for pcmcia
cards.

> Thank you,
> Peter Soderholm

No problem,