[SPARCbook] Wavelan/Orinoco - Hows it going ??

Super-User sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 4 14:40:11 CST 2001

The topic of getting the Wavelan / Orinoco cards running on the
Sparcbook has been
covered before, I just wondered if anyone has made in progress lately.

I have 2 bronce PCMCIA cards available, and they work fine on pc and mac
of course but
sofar not on Sparc. (I also tried it on my SS20 with sbus pcmcia).

For non Solaris oses the status seem to be that OpenBSD has Wavelan
support but doesnt
currently support Sparcbook PCMCIA. NetBSD seem to not have PCMCIA
support no for sparc sbus
cards pcmcia(nell). I found no referense to wavelan or the pcmcia in the
sparcbook. Does anyone
know if pcmcia and wavelan works on the sparcbook with netbsd, or even
better, has anyone tried it out.

Does any version of Linux work, I have the feeling that Linux dont do
well at all on Sparcbook, maybe that has changed lately.

With Solaris 2.5D, the special Sparcbook edition installed from the
original Tadpole CD
the wavelan card is recognised when inserted, and can be viewed in NCE.
However I dont know
how to get any further, the NCE manual mentions that there is supposed
to be setup scripts for some PCMCIA cards. These are supposed to load
automatically when I insert the card, but they dont.Anyone have a clue
on what I should try next here.

I suppose I might try Open or Net for the Wavelan if I can get it to
work. I could put Open on my SS20 and use that to connect using the Sbus
pcmcia. Maybe Net can be put in the Sparcbook?

I would like to use Solaris 2.6 though on the Sparcbook. That would work
best I think.

I guess one could get one of these external boxes that hold one wavelan
card and connect via ethernet, but I really like the small wavelan
PCMCIA as upposed to any klunky external thing.
This may have something to do with my desire to curl up in my sofa and
actually use the laptopn on my lap. The external ethernet cable with the
little adapter is already feeling heavy and uncomfortable, an external
box would not feel like a good solution.

How hard would it be to write a driver for the card anyway, based on the
OpenBSD code for example, but working with Solaris 2.6

I have no idea about the work involved. I'm a pretty experinced c
programmer, but I do all my work in the embedded field, so I dont know
the first thing about a Solaris driver.
(if you need a serial ee-prom driver or a lcd display interface driver
for a microcontroller, let me know ; -)

Or maybe Tadpole has a driver somwhere that could be adapted?

Ooops, this got a bit long. Let me know about your wavelan
pogress/experiments out there...

Thank you,
Peter Soderholm