[SPARCbook] Slightly OT: Interesting sparcbook benchmark

Jonathan Kalbfeld sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 15:52:42 CST 2001

I apologize for the slightly off-topic post, since this is more generic
solaris than sparcbook specific, but it's been running on my sparcbook for
a few weeks now and it's my favorite toy.

If you compile and run KEGS 0.60 on your sparcbook, you will have a nice
Apple IIgs emulator*.  The original Apple IIgs ran at 2.5Mhz.  Compile the
emulator with -O2 and you'll have one running the Finder at 3.5Mhz on a
sparcbook 3GX.  Pretty cool, huh?

In the evenings at home, I sit on the couch with comedy central on in the
background, reliving my childhood and playing with synthLAB on a 5MB Apple
IIgs with a 32MB drive and latest rom revision.  This has made my week.

jonathan

[*]  If you do happen to compile this under Solaris and want to make sound
work, let me know.  I just finished a patch to the original source code to
make it work using /dev/audio.

--
Jonathan Kalbfeld
ThoughtWave Technologies LLC