[SPARCbook] color depth

David Cantrell sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 28 14:41:50 CST 2001

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:43:09AM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:

> David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > On an unrelated issue, I've been having problems compiling a Linux kernel
> > on both the Sprcbook and on my SS2.  Everything appears to go OK until I
> > try to boot the new kernel, when it fails dismally.  Unfortunately I'm
> > not at the machine right now so can't post the exact error message, but
> > if someone could tell me what I need to do different from on x86 (other
> > than the silo vs lilo thing), then I'd be grateful.
>
> Have you reviewed Red Hat's Sparc manual?

Yes.  The error would appear to be because the new kernel I compiled is:

[root at sparcbook boot]# file vmlinux.o
vmlinux.o: ELF 32-bit MSB relocatable, SPARC, version 1, stripped

I stripped it myself, but it makes no difference whether it is stripped or
not.  With the (gzipped) working kernel provided by Debian:

[root at sparcbook boot]# gzip -dc vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21-sun4cdm|file -
      ...: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC, version 1, statically linked,\
           stripped

When I try to boot with the new kernel:

boot: linux-2.4.2
[it loads the image]
Fatal error: Cannot find a loadable segment in your ELF image
Program terminated

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **