[SPARCbook] 12G drive, but only 8G seen

Greg sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 21:16:27 CDT 2001

> I experienced the same limitation about a year ago.  Evidently, the SCS=
I->IDE
> converters they use in the SparcBook series were designed before the ad=
vent of
> LBA, which is the addressing method that modern IDE drives use that all=
ow them
> to exceed 8GB.  The only way that I know of to get around this problem =
is
> trying to find a SCSI->IDE converter that is LBA-enabled.  Frustrating,=
 isn't
> it?

The current versions of the exact same adapters _do_ work for drives
larger than 8GB and, as an added bonus, perform better.

Once I switched to using the new adapter I was able to growfs the
last UFS partition on my disk to use the added space beyond 8GB.
Did it while the file system was mounted, too.  That's good stuff.

-greg