[SPARCbook] Might I request some help?

Chris Heric sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 9 13:35:27 CDT 2001

I am new to this list, and the Sparcbook... but I hope that I can be
pointed in the right direction on a few stray ends to my little project
here...

I have just been gifted a Sparcbook 3GX, 32 MB RAM, 1.2 gig hard drive,
a SCSI floppy, and nothing else.

I just got it booted up by purchasing a power supply... and I had it up
and running...   Using the default PS on the root login. Then I got to
thinking...  I CAN'T just leave the default root password on there... so
I opened up ther trusty terminal window.

I then attempted to change the root password from the terminal window,
and indeed changed the password. Now however, when attempting to boot...
it WILL NOT take the password that I re-confirmed in the passwd terminal
settings...  I am most sure that I typed it correctly when changing it
from the terminal window, but now it does not even take it. I have tried
all combinations of caps and not... and thinking that the keys might be
a little dicey... I have tried omitting several of the characters, as
though the keyboard missed them. There is nothing on this little guy, so
I do not mind losing it.. but I am not in possesion of a bootable CD of
system SW/Solaris etc. In addition, I do not have a CD drive with this,
but anm I correct in assuming that if I were to use a basic 4 or 6x SONY
or Matsushita SCSI CD drive external, I can utilize it as a boot drive?
Do I need a "Tadpole" specific CD drive?

Also, although I have a small trapezoidal port for ethernet.... I do not
have the dongle or adapter that will allow me to implement it into a
Cat5 10base connection. Is there a place where I might be able to obtain
that as well?

So... if I might inquire:

1. How I might obtain a bootable system CD for my Tadpole 3GX Sparcbook?

2. How picky is the system/hardware about SCSI CD-Rom drives? and where
can I find one if I cannot use a generic.

3. Where can I get a Cat5 10-baseT Ethernet adapter for the ethernet
port?

Many thanks in advance....

Chris Heric
chris at pubwire.com