[SPARCbook] SB3GX and OpenBSD

James Sharp sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 31 16:00:53 CST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Martin Wedel wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I know I've asked this before, but is anyone out there currently running
> Open on their laptops? THe problem I'm having is with using the network
> interface. It works great in Solaris 2.6 and NetBSD 1.5 which I have
> loaded on other drives, but for the life of me, I cannot get the damned
> thing to work in Open.
>
> le0 is seen by open, I have link on the transceiver on the aui adapter,
> but when I attempt to bring up the interface, it seems to config just
> fine, however, I cannot get any traffic to pass, this is confirmed by
> doing a tcpdump on the router.
>
> If anyone here has this working, did you have to do any kernel compile
> options or set some specific media directives to get it to work?

Check the ifconfig output for le0....

It should be something like this:

le0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        address: 00:00:83:ae:26:70
        media: Ethernet 10base5
        status: active

Sometimes the system will autodetect the interface to 10BaseT, even though
there's no port for it...

try this:

ifconfig le0 media 10base5

and see if that'll work.