[SPARCbook] SPARCbook and ThinkPad for sale

Jonathan Eisch sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 31 15:58:18 CST 2001

Hi All,

It has come time for me to sell my laptops, as I'm moving to Macintosh as a
desktop OS (specifically OS X.  What can I say?  I used NeXTstep and fell in
love)  the first is a SPARC and the second is an interesting little
workhorse.

Both are very well cared for and have traveled very little.

Sparcbook 3gx:
    110Mhz microsparc II
    64mb ram
    2 batteries,
    car adapter
    AC adapter
    floppy drive
    2 1.2gb hard drives
    170mb PCMCIA type III hard drive
    tadpole leather carrying case
    parallel adapter
    10base T transceiver
    transceiver cable
    Microspeed trackball.
    33.6 US Robotics PCMCIA modem (Solaris compatible)
    built in ISDN

IBM ThinkPad 760XD
    Pentium 166mmx
    32mb ram
    12" TFT 1024 x 768 display, 16bit colour
    Hardware based MPEG.
    composite video in and out (yes, I do have the hard to find adapter
cable
    3gb hard drive
    internal cdrom,
    internal floppy
    external floppy
    almost new lithium-ion battery
    CardBus 10/100 network adapter
    Cardbus USB adapter (no extra software needed for win98)
    AC adapter

Anyone interested?  Make me an offer on one or both.  I would prefer Paypal,
but something else can work out too.

It looks like eBay has been getting $800 for 3GS units, not as quick as this
(did I mention 2 hard drives, one for solaris and NetBSD perhaps on the
other? You get to load what you want)

As for the Thinkpad, it's pretty cool, and if I still used windows, there's
no way that I'd be selling it.  It does have the composite (and s-video)
cable, so you can go ahead and load win98 on it, and hook it up to your VCR
and capture stuff or play it out to your TV.  I've done that a bit, and have
found the quality to be just as good as any $200 converter box you are going
to find.  The USB card is quite handy, and doesn't need any extra software
to work with windows 98.  IBM has very good support for this laptop, as it
was at the very high end at one point or another.  The battery lasts for a
good hour or so of hard pounding, longer if you are just doing something in
Word.  Looks like eBay is getting $400+, but my little sister may be
extremely unwilling to let it go for even that much, so make her happy too.

As I said, they are both in very good condition.

-Jonathan