[SPARCbook] Wavelan

d neal wise sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 28 20:46:53 CST 2001

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I would wire my entire HOUSE, one jack per room, patch panel in a closet
> somewhere, for $500.  Thats with someone ELSE doing the work.

i'm looking forward to buying a house later this year if only because I'll
know there'll be a punchdown block somewhere in it when I wire it up. When
you rent you learn all sorts of tricky ways of 'no damage' (er.. no
visible damage :) wiring i.e. return air ducts make excellent wire
channels, etc.

I, too, intend to do 802.11 at some point but for the moment cat5 is
cutting it. I've even run a leg to my backyard so I can BBQ and listen to
mp3s. this is unplugged when not in use for physical security of course :)

I was back in the US over dec/jan. I was at National home center or home
depot or something with my dad getting some rj11 faceplates. I notice that
even those places are carrying loads of networking stuff - cables, ends,
crimpers, testers, etc.

Bill's right on the cost. You can run it pretty cheaply.

Don't let me ruin your arguement to buy wireless stuff though :)

I wish OpenBSD supported the PCMCIA slots on my GS. BTW I'm running the
latest obsd snapshot on my GS. works dandy. I promised a step-by-step
install guide a few months back that I haven't gotten around to
providing. I did my install using a boot floppy. I'll try to document
doing netboot, boot-floppy & boot-cd based installs.

any 100mb PCMCIA adapters supported by solaris?

regards,

neal
d neal wise - nwise at spy.net
SPY internetworking  -  will network for food
http://www.spy.net