[SPARCbook] Sony memory sticks

Tom Kranz sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 11 06:32:15 CST 2001

As a followup to the testing of various Compact Flash and PCMCIA cards over Christmas, I've also been testing Sony MemorySticks.
Look in the December archives for my machine spec. - essentially a Sparcbook 3GX running Solaris 2.6.
Using the Sony PCMCIA MemoryStick adapter in the top slot, and using 4mb, 8mb and 32mb MemorySticks.

mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1d1p0:c /mnt
works perfectly.

Only thing to note is that Sony's MP3 products use MagicGate MemorySticks - not the same thing as standard MemorySticks. The MG ones won't work at all, due to hardware level encryption that needs special client-side software.

In the meantime - hack on!

Cheers,
TOM