[SPARCbook] SPARCbook and CompactFlash Card

sparcbook at sunhelp.org sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 13:26:57 CST 2001

At Tue, 09 Jan 2001 07:51:02 -0500 , Jan Klingel <Jan.Klingel at edag-us.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Last night I found out that CompactFlash cards from digital cameras work
>in my SPARCbook 3GX. You get an adapter for $9.50 (called PCMCIA type II
>adapter), plug everything into the PCMCIA slot and mount the "hard
>drive":
>
>mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1d1p0:1 /mnt
>
>This is for the upper PCMCIA slot. Now you have access to all the great
>pictures from the camera. The PCMCIA driver his hot-plugable and you
>don't need to reboot the notebook.
>
>Hope this will help somebody.

This is great! Now if I could only find an affordable way to add more
disk space to this machine, i'd have somewhere to dump my pictures while
on vacation. Can anyone suggest a way to expand the disk space to several
Gigs. I am aware of the powerbook ide-scsi thing but $400 seems way
to expensive. I'd be happy with something that was external as long
as it's not too big and awkward. Has anyone figured out a creative
and practical way to do this? Are there any other cheaper sources of
IDE to SCSI adapters?