[SPARCbook] Linux and heat

Miles Nordin sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 10 21:34:49 CST 2001

> I'll place a thermometer on it to provide factual data.

please, don't bother.  I will stipulate, if that helps.

> [paraphrasing me:] if you were not using NetBSD, you are wrong and foolish.

I don't think this is accurate.  More precisely, I implied that if you are using
Linux with broken power management, you are wrong and foolish.  And if you are
using Solaris, OpenBSD, or NetBSD, you needn't worry.  I stand by this opinion.

I was not aware that Linux had improved their power management until people
responded to my post.  But, you'll note that I did predict it might have
happened already when I wrote:

> > It is possible Linux has improved power management, but I have heard
> > nothing to that effect.  If they told me they had improved it, I
> > would be skeptical---I'd probably respond, ``okay, you boot it on
> > yours first then.  [...] Nice.  That's good for you.''

so, you have my response in advance.

I think it's great that many people are now comfortable running yet another
operating system on their SparcBook.  I agree with you that choices in operating
systems are good.

But, don't you think, there is something to my opinion that once a group of
developers makes a mistake in their code that could actually _dammage_ my vintage
laptop that I cannot afford to repair or replace, that I should be hesitant of
trusting my machine to their work in the future?  I understand that not everyone
will be as concerned as I---even, that some people will ``review the code'' and
be completely unconcerned, perhaps for legitimate technical reasons.  But will
you at least grant that Linux's power management mistake is a legitimate factor
arguing against using it, _even though the problem is fixed now._

Surely there are reasons to use Linux that one must balance with these arguments.
Maybe we disagree on just how big a factor it is.  I think it is a huge deal.
Others are glad it's fixed and fairly comfortable---they think it is no big deal.
That's fine.  but, I am trying hard to avoid being unfair here.  I'm trying to
raise and explain a legitimate point.

I never get email viruses, because as soon as the first one came out I have been
very careful to never use Outlook Express again.  Some of my friends kept using
Outlook once they got ``protection'' from the Melissa virus.  Then they got more
email viruses later on.

I'm just saying that my comfort level hasn't gone up much since Linux fixed this
heat problem.  I understand that I may be in the minority because I hold this
opinion, but I think it is a valid and fair bit of reasoning.

Thanks very much for (re-)making the point that Linux has made improvements, as
I'm sure many will benefit from the information.  Please don't misunderstand
me.  I think:

  o people who use an older version of Linux, one suspect of causing overheating
    because of trivial inexperience/hastiness bugs in their SPARC implementation,
    are, as you say I implied, ``wrong and foolish.''

  o there are legitimate reasons for choosing not to use Linux, and we should
    discuss these reasons openly and without fear, even though many of us like
    Linux a lot.

I do not think:

  o users of current improved Linux releases are wrong and foolish

even though I do not plan on joining these people myself, I don't think they're
wrong and foolish.  In retrospect, I can see how it might seem as though I
implied something vaguely negative about them when I explained in my original
post that I would never be among them.  I hope no one is offended becuase he or
she thinks I called him or her foolish.

However, look how long it took me to explain this in a flame-retardant manner!
My original post was quite short, and this one takes many minutes to get
through without providing any additional information.  ``Implication'' is a way
to communicate in two sentences rather than two pages.  I don't know what to do
about this problem.  I expected some backlash to my post, since I criticized Linux
and that is generally a no-no these days.  I suppose I should be thankful to have
received such sane, well-reasoned, mellow backlash!

> If you want you SparcBook cooler, pull the battery. Most of the heat comes from
> keeping it charged.

I guess this is not really related to Linux, but it is an interesting point.

This has not been my experience---I find, with NetBSD and Solaris anyway, the
temperature is highly load-dependent once the battery is fully-charged and left
installed.  Also, you'll find in the FAQ that some users cannot get their machines
to work with out the battery at all, so even if removing it did what you suggest,
it's not an option for everyone.

It's a nice thing to experiment with.

Personally, I think I should not have to spend any time worrying about whether or
not my computer is overheating.  If I wanted to do that, I'd buy a PeeCee instead
of a well-engineered device like the SparcBook.  So far I've been able to avoid
worrying about it, so I'm happy. :)