[SPARCbook] sol 2.5.1 cde probs...

Sunder sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 7 14:27:58 CST 2001

Keith Simonsen wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm running solaris 2.5.1 on my 3Gx... the other day I was using netscape
> and a couple dtterms, when i couldnt start any more apps due to a Shared
> Memory error (ipcs reported no shared mem in use though). Well It got
> locked up so I hard booted it via STOP-A, boot.

There's probably some junk left over in your home directory.  I had a
similar problem with temp files, but solaris wipes /tmp on boot...
So the suggestion is login using command prompt mode, create a bad-cde
folder in your home and move .cde* to it along with any .X* files and
see if that fixes it.

After you're up and running you can restore your .dtprofile and other
files one by one to see what caused the issue...

One way to test if this will work or not is to login as your root
account
to CDE (I assume your user account is the bad one, yes?), if that works
fine, then for sure it's in your home dir.  If you can't login as root
(or any user to CDE) it's probably that you blew away a library or
binary
that gets called up on when CD starts.   In that case, just reinstall
CDE.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\