[SPARCbook] bootp and sparcbook2

Ian Spray sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 11:08:11 CDT 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:32:32 -0600
"Robert Ramsey" <ramseyrt at pcisys.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know I posted this before about a month ago but I haven't been able to
> find anyone who can help me.  Maybe someone new will give this a lookover.

I didn't post before because I have nothing helpful to say, but for the
sake of the archives, here goes:

> I just recently bought a Sparcbook 2 and even more recently received the
> Solaris 2.5 software from Tadpole.  The documentation that came with the
> software describes the instillation process for a Sparcbook 3.
> Unfortunately, I don't have a CD-ROM for my sparcbook (takes a 36pin scsi
> cable).  However, Doing the instillation via Jumpstart shouldn't be very
> difficult right?

I'd say it would be very tricky - AFAIK (and I'm open to correction on
this) the SB2 never worked with anything later than Solaris 2.4, so 2.5 in
in itself will be, erm, fun.

> When I try to boot my sparcbook off the network it's attempting a bootp
> instead of a tftpboot.  I've done a lot of Jumpstart setups but haven't run
> across any documentation on how to get the system to act like a boot server
> via bootp.  Anyone have any ideas on how to get this laptop booted off the
> network?

Using BOOTP.  It's an older protocol system than RARP/TFTP, and may or may
not have anything to do with Jumpstart, as I've never looked at it.  I
think there are BOOTP servers for Solaris out there (might even be one
built in ?).

> I've using a Sun Sparc 2 running Solaris 2.7 for the Jumpstart server.

SB2's are so old they don't even have OpenFirmware - the last time I tried
to get sense out of one when I turned it on I got so annoyed I just put it
away and never tried to do anything with it again.

If you get 2.5 running, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong publicly -
Good Luck !

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer (OBP) :  Tadpole-Cycle
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224    :  http://www.tadpole.com/