[SPARCbook] sparcbook3xp battery

Ian Spray sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 08:05:50 CDT 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:05:30 +0200 (CEST):

> I seem to recall that someone earlier reported getting some 5 hours of
> runtime out of the external pack, or was that only in my dreams?

Do you need to operate away from a power outlet, or are you after a long
running truly laptop device ?  If all you need is the ability to function
away from mains then I cam confirm that 12v sealed lead acid batteries are
very handy indeed.  I have a Yuasa 7Ah unit that I simply connect into the
DC-in of the SPARCbook - this will mean that some power is lost due to the
internal cell being recharged, but on the plus side means that once the
lead acid dies, I still have the internal battery runtime to allow me to
finish things up.

I've not tried to run for more than 2 hours like this, as it was during a
power cut and I switched back to the mains once it was available.  The
downside is of course that the 12v battery is heavy, and to keep losses to
a minimum I only used 5 inches of cable, so it was only really practical
on a table top.

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-Cycle
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/