[SPARCbook] The continuing saga of bootable HDs

Keith Howick howick at siliconmetrics.com
Sat Sep 30 20:29:20 CDT 2000

List,

Thanks for your help so far, but I just can't seem to get this to work.
I've formatted the drive, created the new FS, mounted the various
partitions, copied all the files and run fsck on all the partitions.
However, when I attempt to boot from the disk I'm told the following:

ok boot disk2
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma at 4,8400000/esp at 4,8800000/sd at 2,0 File and
args:
SunOS Release 5.5.1 Version Generic [UNIX($) System V Release 4.0]
Warning:
/iommu at 0,10000000/sbus at 0,10001000/espdma at 4,8400000/esp at 4,8800000/sd at 3,0
(sd3)

    corrupt label - wrong magic number

/platform/sun4m/kernel/drv/zs non-zero sect addr in input file
zs error reading sections
NOTICE: Can't find driver for console framebuffer
panic: conconfig: no keyboard found
syncing file systems... done
rebooting...
Resetting...

Now, sd3 is a new and unformatted internal drive. Apparently I have some
unresolved links that are pointing back to the sd3 scsi device. I've
modified the device.tab, mnttab and vfstab files, but this didn't help.
"zs" is the serial port driver, but I can't find where it (apparently)
wants to point back to sd3.

This is turning into a merry little chase. Has anyone any additional
advice? I'm not at all familiar with this level of the system.

Thanks,

-Keith Howick